BIPM is the intergovernmental organization created by the Meter Convention; its Member States act in common on matters relating to measurement science and measurement standards.
BIPM’s vision is to be universally recognized as the international reference organization for the global measurement system whereas its mission is to work internationally with the national metrology institutes of its Member States, regional metrology organizations, as well as its strategic partners, and to use its status as an international and impartial organization to promote and advance the global comparability of measurements for:
- scientific discovery and innovation,
- industrial production and international trade,
- improving the quality of life and preserving the environment.
BIPM Goals are as follows:
- Represent the international metrology community to maximize recognition and impact.
- Cooperation with relevant intergovernmental organizations as well as other international bodies to develop opportunities to leverage metrology to address global challenges.
- To be a center for scientific and technical collaboration between the Member States, enabling them to develop skills for international measurement comparisons, on the principle of shared costs.
- Coordinating international comparisons of national measurement standards is considered to be of the highest priority.
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate reference standards used to conduct, at the highest metrological level, international key comparisons and provide calibrations within the framework of these comparisons.
- Coordinate the global measurement system, ensuring the comparability and international recognition of the measurement results obtained.
- Coordinating activities between Member States’ NMIs and regional metrology organizations, including providing technical services in support of the CIPM MRA and providing the infrastructure necessary for the development and promotion of the SI.
BIPM mission and objectives are underpinned by its work in the following areas:
- capacity building, with the objective of achieving an overall balance of metrological capabilities of Member States
- knowledge transfer, which helps to ensure that the work of the BIPM has the greatest possible impact.
If you are interested in learning more about BIPM, click on the link below: