When deciding that you need a bridge tipper, you must form a team responsible for that decision. This team will be responsible, among others, for the following steps:
- Assessment and choice of bridge scales suppliers: search for several potential suppliers and narrow the list to two or three suppliers. Then, ask these suppliers to take you to places with a bridge tipper with the same characteristics as the ones you are proposing, preferably already installed some time ago. This will give you an idea of the real shopping experience. Take the opportunity to ask questions about maintenance, namely the frequency of preventive maintenance. Also ask about unplanned detentions, namely whether there is a need to replace cells, and how long these stops typically take. Also investigate the timing for calibrations and / or checks. Finally, compare the offers you have in hand, namely which items / services are included in the final price.
- Bridge tipper size: in case you need to weigh the complete truck, the bridge tipper must be long enough for all the wheels on it. This means a length usually between 18m and 21m for semi-trailers and up to 30m for trucks with double trailers. The maximum length of a truck is usually defined by the competent regional or national authorities. As for the width, usually 3m wide is sufficient. If necessary, there is the possibility of obtaining a wider bridge-tipper. Barbal ® offers larger versions on request.
There are 3 types of configuration possible for the bridge tipper. You must weigh all the pros and cons of each option and choose the most suitable option for your business.
- Axle-weighing bridge scales: these are used to weigh axle-by-axle vehicles, totaling the total vehicle weight at the end. Many customers choose this type of bridge tipper for cost reasons. However, they are less accurate.
- Complete bridge bridge: these are platforms usually composed of several modules connected together and long enough to support the complete truck. It is the most common type of bridge bridge, given the need for certification for commercial transactions.
- Multi-axis bridge bridge: very similar to the complete bridge bridge, but with a substantial difference. Instead of interconnected modules, each module or set of modules has its own set of cells, allowing you to view the weight of each predefined axle or set of axles, as well as the weight of the complete truck. This is the most expensive solution, as it requires additional cells and other components.